Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sisters in Zion---Visiting Teaching

Speaking of testimonies and hear warming things, I just wanted to journal about the other day.

I was on my way to someplace when I passed a friend's house.
In front of her house was a parked gray car.
I thought;
When I realized who's car it was, I thought;
"Oh, Wendie's over there."

And then it dawned on me that Wendie was doing her visiting teaching.
For those of you who don't know what visiting teaching is, it's kind of a like a "buddy system" in the church where the women are paired into a companionship and they have a few sisters they go and visit each month. They share a spiritual message and become friends with those they are assigned to serve. It's a really great program and I've often found my best friends through it.

As I drove past the house realizing three women (a companionship visiting with her sister) were in that home, an overwhelming feeling came over me of...pride, of happiness, of gratitude. It's quite indescribable really, all the powerful feelings I felt.

I knew that Wendie had a little girl who had just turned one and that she had a life of her own. I knew that her companion also had a life of her own, a quite busy one actually. And yet, they were together, visiting this sister in her home to love and care for, and to share an uplifting message with her.
I was grateful to them.

Then, I received several other calls and comments about how happy a sister was because they had either gone to visit their sisters, or that they themselves had received a personal phone call or a visit. I actually was motivated by Wendie to do my own Visiting Teaching. As I called my sister and asked her when my companion and I could come and visit her, she squealed and laughed, "I'm actually going out right now to do MY visiting teaching!" We laughed together, knowing that we were both doing the Lord's work. It felt good.
The ones visiting others glowed with pride, and the ones being visited beamed with happiness. They knew they were loved and cared by someone.

Then I thought,
If I, really a no body could feel THIS happy and proud and THANKFUL for these sisters carrying about the Lord's work in this way, how happy and proud and grateful our Father in Heaven must feel...

I truly love our sisters. This calling to be their leaders has been a great challenge. And yet, it's times like these that I sit here, just in awe and overwhelmed by gratitude for what they do...and gratitude to my Heavenly Father for allowing such a person as I to be permitted to serve these sisters who are teaching me so much. The love I feel for them is immense, and I am grateful I am given this time to see each one of them through the Eyes of their Creator, as He would see them.




No comments:

Post a Comment