Monday, June 20, 2011

Dependence vs. Self-reliance

I got a call today that has me thinking a lot.

The voice on the other line was a familiar one.
"Can you run to the store and get me a loaf of bread and some brown beef? I haven't got anything in my house to eat and I just need those things right now!"

I told the sister I couldn't. I had used up all my funds for the month, I just wasn't able.

"well, couldn't you just bring me some bread then?"
The voice echoed in my ears.

I looked around. I had a few pieces of bread on the counter, sure, but I also had hungry kids to feed.

My heart has been aching.
For so many reasons.

How do I teach my sisters self-reliance?
The odd thing is, that this sister works seven days a week...

How does anyone teach anybody to be independent and self-reliant? to not to seek handouts. To not depend on others to give you things. Not to demand and expect that the government and church be responsible for every need you have?
How is any of this to be done?

And yet, as I carry the load of this new calling, these questions torment me each day.
I have no answers....

What is charity?
What would Jesus do?
As I sat at the table "feasting" upon the lunch we had, I wondered so many things. Was it really right for me to turn down a "needy" sister while I sat there eating any food at all? Where do I draw the line of giving and saying "no" to never ending reaching hands that knock on my door each day?

Call me cruel, call me mean, but I just don't think the gospel is about long term dependency.
I believe firmly that God does not like for us to be dependent. Quite the contrary, he wants us to work. Work is the answer to true happiness in my mind. The sense of empowerment that comes from being able to provide for yourself, to earn an income, to find a ride to places is so priceless...how do I teach my beloved sisters that?!

On this subject, Elder Albert E. Bowen has stated;
"the true function and office of giving is to help people [get] into a position where they can help themselves and thus be free.”
(Welfare Gospel Doctrine manual, 1946, p. 77.)
"Many programs have been set up by well-meaning individuals to aid those who are in need. However, many of these programs are designed with the shortsighted objective of “helping people,” as opposed to “helping people help themselves.” Our efforts must always be directed toward making able-bodied people self-reliant.

How I believe this!
And yet, so many unanswered questions are floating through my mind tonight...

HELP.

No comments:

Post a Comment