Saturday, January 1, 2011

Public Speaker

A decision has been made!

I have decided to become a public motivational speaker.
The idea came about two years ago, when I had the opportunity to attend Time Out for Women with some friends, and the second time came from listening to Brother Randal Wright at a stake Relief Society conference. Each time, a strong wave of emotions swept over me and I thought; boy, wouldn't that be something, to be the source of such powerful, such inspirational and such beautiful words! I want to inspire people to do good!

But, those thoughts remained as thoughts on the back burner of my brain, mostly because I most definitely DO NOT enjoy being the center of attention, OR speaking in front of small or large crowds.

I've thought back on the strong feelings I had while attending these conferences a few times in the last two years, but nothing too serious.

Until the other day.
A few things happened that led to a few more other events, and suddenly, I had come to a decision.

I am going to become a motivational speaker!
WHAT!? ME?!
I know.

Here's what I want to talk about.

About not making excuses for your actions.
About becoming all that you can be.
About trusting and relying on the Lord.
About making the most out of your circumstances.
About hope and about faith
About standing tall.
About forgiving
About loving life and focusing on all the blessings in it.
About being grateful.
About being answers to other's prayers.
about loving.
and finally but not lastly,
about CRUSHING EXPECTATIONS.

I have NO clue how I'm going to accomplish such a task, but I know I can, and I know that I will. If the Lord wants me to do this, I know that He will help me.
I don't have qualifications, and I'm not educated in this area, but I know He will help me, every step of the way.

The decision has been made and I have begun walking the road to acting on it.
Doors have already been opening up and I have set two dates to be a guest speaker
(which I'm really grateful for these two people who have confidence in me enough to allow me to come speak!!)

The first one at our branch to our youth in Mutual. (Jan.)
The second one at a multi-ward Relief Society Activity (May)

If there is anyone reading this that knows of a place I could come to speak at, I would really appreciate your recommendations and a name/number of someone I could call to get in touch with to set something up with them. I'm not only set on speaking to LDS audiences, but anyone who will listen.

My goal is to speak at 10 different locations this year, but ultimately, this is what I have planned for this particular life mission.

Start out speaking in local areas. Then, asked to be a guest speaker. Next, speak at a EFY or a Time out for Women. Eventually, my goal is to speak out of state, and ultimately, be an international speaker. I aspire to walk with the children infected with AIDS down in Africa, to hold the orphans in China, to walk the dusty roads of South America to speak and share a message of comfort. I know, I know, I'm dreaming grand, but I am headed that way, and unless the Lord says "stop, enough, you stink!", I'm not stopping. Funny, how I would have never imagined such a life for myself (although I've always wanted to volunteer and give of myself, I would have NEVER imagined myself speaking to a crowd larger than...uhh, ONE.)

It feels right and I know it's something I'm supposed to start working on right now.
I'm grateful for everyone who has built me up to believe that I can do such a thing, or that I could do anything at all, for that matter!

I really do have many friends and family members who cheer me on in a kind way.
This is to you.

Go out there, and CRUSH expectations!!
(and please pray for me!)

3 comments:

  1. Typically people who speak at EFY's and things like that are seminary teachers or people who work for CES. So I would suggest contacting someone who works for the Chruch Educational System. Or going through the seminary teaching program at BYU (which, form what I hear, is TOUGH...particularly for women)

    I'm sure those are not the requirements, but that is my experience when I was an EFY counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be great! At TOFW I really felt like I would love to be a motivational speaker at one of those someday... but I'm not sure it's in the cards for me. I think you would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monika, what a great goal! You will be a wonderful motivational speaker- your blog has always motivated me and I know that you will bless others through this decision (and yourself!). I'm excited for you and hope you keep us posted on your progress. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete