Friday, December 18, 2009

Do it right, the first time.

Sometimes, I forget that there are still good people on this earth.

I met a real nice gentleman today, standing in the humongous lines at Walmart.
Standing there with what I planned to make for Ronny and my "date night,"
an African American middle-aged man in front of me turned to me and said;
"dinner?"
"yah..." (great, a weirdo)
"looks good"
"Thanks..." (I'm really tired...)
after a brief chit chat with this man though, I decided he wasn't shady, so I commented on the bundle of roses he held in his arms.
"Is it your wife's birthday or anniversary or something?"
"this? Oh, no...I just try to do something nice once in a while...you know, 'cuz you're only married once...well, that's what I want, anyway!"
"Oh, that's great, real nice of you"
then, turning around again with a twinkle in his eyes, he said;
"a wise friend once told me, that he and his wife left each other notes every single day--they've been married now for 50 years!"
"WHOA! that's tough to do, every single day!! But 50 years?! Something must be working for them!"
"yuup, now I says to myself, writing each other love note every single day might be hard, but I will do it at least once a week. Don't know how long i'll be around, but while I've got her, I'm gonna do it right and treat her right"

In this world where infidelity rules and couples going wild, I needed to know that there were still people, couples who did believe in Love, who did work towards something special despite challenges, and who did come out stronger because they stuck it out, together.
Funny, I thought, to be able to feel the spirit, even in that dingy crowded Walmart.
This man left a big impression on me--then he was gone.
I must have needed it.

Thank you, Mr.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it nice to have someone like this man?. I do have a man just like that man, when I was working he prepared my lunch and always left a love note for me on the napkin, later in life once in a while I would find a wonderful love note on the bathroom mirror, or on our white board. but absolutely every time that this man goes out on a business trip he leaves a train of love notes everywhere I can find. That man is your Father.

    ReplyDelete