Saturday, December 26, 2009

2010 Goals


Christmas is done, the trash is still laying around, but I am sitting here, already thinking about my new year's resolutions. Actually, I've BEEN thinking about new goals and reviewing the old ones...

Financially, I'd like to work hard again with Ronny to establish a good chunk of savings. We had set a goal to pay off our Neon ($10,000 in Jan. 2009) and we did it, so we're thinking we can have about the same amount in our savings by Dec. 2010.
(keep us in check please!)

I want to learn new things too...dance, maybe take more piano lessons to push myself? Finish my book...? I don't know...just thinking...
there's just so much I'd love to learn and do and not enough time! Gotta prioritize!

I'll definitely continue to coupon and build up our food storage. We now have shelveS FULL of food, toiletries, school supplies, gifts, etc. in storage...couponing has been absolutely amazing and I don't think I'll quit anytime soon. I want to do it better though...so I'll be thinking harder of how I can more efficiently shop-and save-and cook-and live...so any and all ideas would be awesome.

I just love goals.
I once heard one of our beloved prophets/apostles speak of goals:
"If you don't know where you're going, it won't matter where you end up"
I want to get somewhere. I still don't know where that 'somewhere' is, but I sure as heck don't want to end my life and not know what I have done. So, to plan!

What do you all do/how do you decide what your goals will be?

Here's a quick "goal setting" session I once learned in the mission:

1. decide where you want to ultimately end up. Then, back track by setting smaller "stepping goals" to help you get to your destination.

for example: I want to learn to dance Salsa-a Spanish dance. This would be my "ultimate" goal. So, what are some stepping goals I must set to get there?
-find a dance studio that teaches Salsa
-decide if I want to, and can afford to pay for a class-if not, what else could I do? (Youtube is great-or library videos!! do you have a friend who knows Salsa?) etc.

It's important also to set SPECIFIC goals too, but what about catagorizing goals??

{i.e.}

"Spiritual"
"Physical"
"Personal"
"Education"
"Family"
"Financial"

{etc.}

set up goals in catagories-this will help you stay focused and more organized, not to mention specific.

after you've made your goals for the YEAR, try breaking them down into MONTHS too. If you're really ambitious and like to be organized and even ensure that you will stick to your goals longer than January 3rd, break them down into WEEKS.
(It's not unusual for me to set goals on Weekly basis) This way, you won't just make your goals and them forget about them after January.

What are some of your ideas and methods when it comes to setting and sticking to goals? Any fun ones you'd share with me??

No comments:

Post a Comment