Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Self-Reliance.

I've been thinking about the principle of self-reliance A LOT lately.
A LOT

What does it mean to be self-reliant and how do you teach a bunch of adults and youth the principle that is so wrapped around the teachings of the gospel?
The gospel isn't just about what we can or shouldn't do.
It's about being self-reliant.
It's ALL about being self-reliant first, then helping others!

I'm beginning to see A LOT of the LACK of self-reliance in this new place that I'm in right now and it's been tugging at my mind that perhaps, this is the most important lesson we can teach those around us...okay, so I'm going to stop beating around the bush.

Our branch needs help.
Major help to get out and get up on their own two feet.
But I'm not talking about just in our new branch.
I've been near a lot of people who think that it's their right to be HANDED things to them. Money, food, housing, EVERYTHING.
How do people not see that receiving an education is one of the most vital things one can do for him/herself in this existence?
Why do people fail to understand the concept and divinity of HARD WORK?
The responsibility as a parent?
The obligation and the beauty of teaching your own children?
The list goes on.

So help me understand or see some things here.
Parents who don't take their children to church activities?
I want to personally ask them; "are you in support of these activities? or is this just another convenient break for you?" Hey, let's face it. These church leaders come to pick the kids up, entertain them for a while, maybe even teach a few good things, get them off of our super dangerous streets, then they even come drop them off when it's done! Life is gooood.

I don't feel it's right that church leaders have to pick children and youth up for church, mutuals, activities, primary outings and every other thing in between. But really, what do you do?
(and please, I do understand helping out, I really do)

So for my Relief Society activities that I'm to be planning for this year, I've decided to really focus on what it is that this branch needs--more than materialistic things, what is it that I/we can teach them that will actually EMPOWER them?!

Girly pedicures and crafty things are great, but I'm talking business.

Let's learn how to;
Use and operate a computer!
("this is called a computer")

Literacy-
(oh boy)

Budget
(what is that?)
(maybe this would even help members to start paying tithing?)

Learn about Church resources such as the employment programs--
(NOT free handouts for those who are truly in need of them!!)

Using public resources to help one's self such as coupons--
(NOT free handout programs that the government hands out)

Someone told me the other day that people look at me (me personally) and say; she has a "nice" car, a beautiful home, a nice family and she has "nice" clothes--why?
"BECAUSE SHE MARRIED A WHITE MAN."
whoa. I'm not dissing my wonderful "white" husband, but what a blow to the face.

There's so much praying I need to do and so much support I will be needing from all, but
if there's one thing I will see to it that gets done before we leave this place, it is
that this branch will have become better because they will have learned to help themselves and by so doing,
become an EMPOWERED little branch.
so help me God!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is great!!! I read this a quote out of Preach my Gospel, I think that it applies to this as well, I find that even though I may feel really driven to do something when road bumps come sometimes I feel a little discouraged, and question myself, but since I read this quote I feel a little bit more empowered. "Some may not accept your message even when they have received a spiritual witness that it is true. You will be saddened because you love them and desire their salvation. You should not, however, become discouraged; discouragement will weaken your faith. If you lower your expectations, your effectivenss will decrease, your desire will weaken, and you will have greater difficulty following the Spirit." (Page 10) There is also a list following the quote of ways you can know that you have been successful. I think that when you do start to feel discouraged you should come back and read what you wrote. It is very inspiring. Good luck! I know the Lord is on your side, their salvation lies within their ability to become self reliant, the parable of the ten virgins. No need to justify, you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete