Saturday, July 16, 2011

ER Trip


So there we were, tired from our 14+ hour drive from Utah to Albuquerque, NM last night.
We found a motel to spend the night in and were winding down from the trip, getting ready for our next 13+ hour drive the following day.
We bathed the kids and had a simple dinner together.
Next thing we know, Jaiden was flying through the air and for those who know him, let me add that he was flying through space, IRON MAN style...except rather than floating freely through nothing, he was plummeting down to the floor.
CRASH!
A loud bang, and then redness filled our eyes. Jaiden, who was trying to jump from bed to bed and had missed the 2nd bed, had fallen to the floor only to hit his head on the night stand ledge.
It was a SHARP ledge.
I don't do blood.
I can't do blood.
I began to cry.
Yes, I was crying along side Jaiden!
What a great help I was. I just couldn't stand to think my baby hurt.
I was just lucky that Ronny was around to help.
We called the front desk but they told us the nearest hospital was 30 minutes away.
30 MINUTES AWAY!??!
I about died.
We headed back towards the way we had come from and rushed the bleeding guy in there.

Now, you'd THINK that Jaiden would have been quieted from this incident.
You'd assume he would have been scared...freaked out...cuddly and sweet and wanting to be held...
NO.
Remember, this is JAIDEN we're talking about.
Ronny and I BEGGED the Dr's to sedate him for the suture.
No luck there. Ronny and I had to hold the little punk down with all our might while the attending nurse gave him 7 stiches in the noggin.
Ronny sang to him;
"5 little monkeys jumping on the bed...Jaiden, do we jump on the bed?"
he asked.
"No no, NAUGHTY NAUGHTY!" Jaiden wagged his little index finger.
Did he really learn his lesson? Who knows. My guess as his mother of almost four years is an astounding NO.
But can I hope?
yes,
and I have to.

This little guy never ceases to amaze me with the trouble and grief he gives me/us.
But do we love him? Yes we do.

2 comments:

  1. I respond the same when my kids get hurt. Luckily David is calm and quick thinking in a crisis. I had stitches in my head once, they don't sedate in case of concussion I believe... not fun though. Glad he's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he's ok. We had two scary times with my second oldest boy. He was just learning to walk and we were over at my family's (in Arizona still) and he was in my brother's room and fell and hit his lips on the metal handle of the draws under my brother's bed. I picked him up and ran to the car to go to the hospital. We waited for a long time to be seen by and he did have to get stiches, poor little boy had a paper thing over his body so the doctor just saw his lips. We had to help hold him down along with a nurse. When he hit his lips it also opened up part of the skin underneath the lips and that is why he needed the stiches instead of getting the glue.
    The other time was just a couple of months ago he was in his room playing and watching tv and all of a sudden I heard crying and he came out of his room and I notice blood and he turned around and the top of his head was cut. I was trying to stop the bleeding but my husband called his dad and they went to the hospital but they didn't want to wait so they went to my in laws. My mother in law got it to stop bleeding and put some medicine on it and covered it up. She said it wasn't a big cut that needed stiches. I asked my oldest what had happened and he said that Parker was on his own bed and fell off and hit his head on the closet door the metal thing that holds the door up.
    Boys will be boys that's for sure!!!
    From Laura Spencer

    ReplyDelete