Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mayra

I have been blessed with many special friends.

Today, I wanted to talk about Mayra.

She's from Mexico.
I met her at church, at the Clear Lake 1 ward in Webster, Texas.

I couldn't remember her name at first.
"Ma...y..ra?"

She had her baby girl in her lap.
I've always loved Latins, especially after my mission.
"Hola"
I sat by her.
It all began there.

Now after more than 3 years, we've kept in close contact.
Though my Spanish has disintegrated and is a sad story and she speaks only broken English,
she and I have kept that special bond alive.

We laugh about motherhood and how hard it can sometimes be.
We encourage one another to chug along and we make each other laugh.

Last night, I was able to go to her house with Amanda S. and we taught her how to use a computer.
Fun stuff.

She created herself an email account and of course, an account with Facebook.
I told her she had to write me everyday to practice.
She's already written me 2 emails and says she's so happy.

People like Mayra make me smile.
Sisters like Mayra strengthens me.

I quietly thank my Heavenly Father for giving me a gift named Mayra.

Mayra--te quiero mucho!
(necesito una foto de ti!)

1 comment:

  1. I love Mayra! Even though I speak absolutely NO Spanish and she speaks only broken English I can still feel her sweet spirit! She is a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete