Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Genocide

I just recently read a book called "Left to tell" (see entry in older post) about the Rwandan genocide that took place not even two decades ago. Tonight, I'm watching a story about genocides all over the world on PBS. It's mind-boggling to think that genocides happen everywhere...all the time.

I have shed a few tears watching this show tonight, and more than anything, I have a burning desire to help. "Help" is a helpless word to me right now, but I want to do something. I don't know what, but my heart goes out to the world. What is there that I can do? Not only do I want to learn about genocides and what happens around us, but I want to make a difference, somehow...

As I watch this program though, I've really been humbled. Most things I do each day don't even matter in comparison. The shopping, the glam, the makeup, the silly TV shows, the gossip...what really does matter is that I get to hold my boys tight in my arms and tell them how much I love them each day.
How grateful I am that no one will machete me and my family down to pieces, or rape and torture me and smash my babies into the ground. Gosh, if I've learned anything from both the book and this program, it's to try to live...live the life that matters....

So much of what the world has to offer just doesn't matter...
and I have SO much to be grateful for.
I pray that the Lord will guide me in preparing myself now for something that I can do in the future that might make a difference to make this world a better place.

1 comment:

  1. It is heartbreaking. I think you will make a difference in the world for the better. I remember a few years ago David was telling me about the genocide in the Congo and how it seems like the rest of the world (and news)just ignores it (including me because what can I do?) It's hard to believe that kind of world even exists because it is so horrible, so much evil. I sure live in a bubble. I needed hear this today. To remember everyday how blessed I am and to stop sitting on my butt! Help where I can, but to also enjoy my life, so many others don't get that chance.

    ReplyDelete