Monday, October 18, 2010

Cooking Day

I have here, tomato and meat sauce (front right), roasted homemade salsa (back right), shredded boiled chicken (left front) going at the same time.

This is what my kitchen looks like on a big cooking/prepping day.

This is another cooking day I did recently. As I said before, I like to BULK COOK, which simply means that I COOK IN BULK.

Here's a few pictures of what I did.


Grated cheeses (we use a lot of shredded cheese for omelets, scrambled eggs, Mexican dishes, over rice for the kids, etc, sliced cheese--for grilled cheese sandwiches, diced some cheese--for kids snacks, chopped red onions--excellent in egg dishes or Mexican dishes, chopped olives-- sliced baby tomatoes, made potato salad, shredded cabbage---great on sandwiches or ramen, stir fry or soups and made some Japanese miso-soup (you can kind of see it behind the tomato and cabbage)
I made a HUGE pot of meat and tomato sauce. I figure I got about 5-8 spaghetti meals out of it, or a few lasagnas and a few spaghetti dinners.

This is the spaghetti sauce divided up into smaller containers--and into the freezer!

Here, you can see the diced cheddar cheese I like to give the kids for snacks, and I chopped up sausages(handy for breakfast, lunch or dinner in egg dishes, mac and cheese, or fried rice or just by them self), chicken meat in strips for "Ritz cracker chicken", cooked and shredded chicken for Enchiladas or soups, and etc--these went into the freezer.

I usually have my veggies rinsed, DRIED and chopped/sliced/cut/diced/shredded and in tupperware in the fridge at all times. (I take about one day of the week to do this) This way, we seem to eat more veggies. Making eggs? Simply pull out a few containers of already chopped olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, sausages, etc and make an omelette or yummy veggie filled scrambled eggs!

No time to cook and resorting to ramen? Boil with it, a handful of shredded cabbage and sliced carrots! Want something quick for snack time? How about sliced apples or cheese, or Ants on a log (celery sticks with PB and cranberries on it)?

anyway, I think you get the idea, but I just wanted to show you a few pictures of what my cooking day looks like. It takes a little bit of time to get all this done from washed, dried to cut and in containers, but in the end, you save SO MUCH time in the end, and you'll find yourself eating healthier, because in a sense, everything is right at your finger tips. Just pull out a container, and throw in a few ingredients to finish off your dish!



3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful thing. I think it will improve my cooking day fo sho! Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you fit all of this in your fridge? I think it's a great idea. If we have carrots and things cut up and easily accessible, we eat better too. Smart smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!! You are awesome! It was fun to hear a little about your trip to Japan and more about the funny little things Kai says! He is such a funny kid!

    ReplyDelete