Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The X-factor

We've all seen it, those sing off television shows where ordinary people hop on stage and sing their hearts out for a chance to be a star in Hollywood.

Tonight, I was watching one of those shows with nothing else I wanted to do but unwind from the day with the kids in front of the tele.

A man dressed in dark heavy coat appeared after the commercials with scruffy facial hair and untidy hair, hand in hand with his mom. HIS MOM!
His mother had driven him 7 hours to get him on this show.

First impression?
Not so hot.

He was asked what he did for a living, to which he answered "I fling burritos."
Alright, second impression?
Still not hot.

The greasy looking man who looked like he just reappeared from the cave announced his song of choice.

The crowd snickered, and even the judges had looks of incredulous in their voice.
In the mean time, the man's mother was backstage literally freaking out about how amazing her son was and how he was going to blow the world away, tears and all.

Nothing was going for this man.

Then the soft music of "At last" began and the grizzly man opened his mouth.

at the same time, all the judge's yackers dropped open, the crowd went dead silent.
MY eyes were wide open too, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

The man finished his song and the audience went wild.
The judges ate him up, complimenting him to bits.

My eyes were wet.
I must admit that I do get emotional quite easily, but I was grateful for this little episode on a dinky tv show.

How are we perceived by the world?
Better yet, how am I perceived by the world?

...probably like a worthless person just raising little children.
My hair's not always the tidiest, usually thrown up in a bun. Heck, if I showered that day, that's what I call ACCOMPLISHMENT! My face is a washout (no makeup) on most days, I have no real skills, I contribute little to the world as far as its concerned. The world probably mocks me, or better yet, probably doesn't even know that I exist. If I even tried to go out and do anything "great," they'd probably laugh at my attempt or karate chop me to pieces. (lol)

but.

there is one person--maybe even two...

they know exactly who I am, and what I'm capable of.

Just like the crying mother who knew without a doubt what her scrubby son was capable of, that he would crush everyone's expectations, I too, have Heavenly parents who love me with no end. They know exactly what my worth is, and they will stand by me 100%, yes, even on days I don't believe I can do much.

The audience may see me as they did the man in the beginning, a scrubby wore-out mom flipping pancakes every morning and wiping snotty little kids all day, and they may not even change their minds about me in the end cheering me on, but I know, just like that mother who believed in her son, that to my Heavenly Parents, I am a somebody.

1 comment: