Monday, December 6, 2010

Our Christmas Miracle


This is a story about our family's Christmas miracle.

His name is Jaiden and he's about to turn three.
but you see, he wasn't born a normal baby.
What I mean by that, is that he was born quite early.
How early, you may ask.
18 weeks, or 4.5 months to be exact.
He was born at only 22.5 weeks (out of the required 40 weeks),
just weighing in at ONE pound, TWO ounces and measuring 11 inches.

How tiny is that?
Picture a barbie doll. And for his sake, let's have you imagine a barbie KEN doll, since he is a boy.
Trust me, he was in fact, as skinny and as tiny as a barbie Ken doll.
Trust me on that one.



He wasn't expected to live.
In fact, he wasn't expected to breath at all.
The doctors had no hope.
They had no hope at all.

Until,
they saw a tiny body gasp for air the second he was born.
JAIDEN WANTED TO LIVE.
He fought, and so did the doctors.

The doctors told us he would never survive.
That there was no use.
They had never seen such a thing.
Babies can be small when born, but NEVER can be this gestationally early, they said.
It just hasn't happened, it just can't happen.
"He has no chance."

Still, through the incubator, I saw a tiny rat like baby, MY baby fighting.
Tubes ran up his nose and down to his stomach and needles bigger than his body stuck out throughout his body, ripping his skin at every opportunity.
I wasn't allowed to touch him, so forget being able to hold and comfort my baby.
I cried.

He underwent multiple serious and life threatening surgeries.
"Let him go in peace," some would even advise me.
"You're putting him through so much unnecessary pain."

I can't tell you how many sleepless and tormented nights I spent, and no doubt it was the same for our family.

but Jaiden fought.
He wanted to LIVE.
and so the doctors dutifully fought too, doing all they knew how.

Most importantly, we PRAYED. We prayed and prayed.
And when we were too tired to pray, our families, our friends, our country, and sometimes it felt as though the whole world prayed for us too.

and so Jaiden fought.
and so we did too.

The barbie baby who fit my wedding ring through his elbow eventually grew to be 6 pounds, just four months later.



"still, he will have no quality of life."
some doctors predicted.

"It doesn't matter, he is still our son, and we will love him no matter what."
Now, it was our turn to fight.

Now it's almost been three years.
Tears fill my eyes as I sit here, thinking back in amazement all that had happened,
and I can't imagine a world without the little guy.


{Dear Jaiden, our little Christmas miracle}

I know I can be hard on you at times, and I know I call you "punk," "stinky butt," or just plain "bugger." But know that you are loved beyond measure.
I am so glad that we fought for you, and even more glad you fought to stay with us.

I love how feisty you are, how strong you are. I admire how determined you are and how you never give up. Sure, it's a pain right now, but I know these are the things that Heavenly Father gave you so that you could be with us today.

You brought our family closer.
You reminded us what Christmas was all about.
The power of the Lord, and the miracles of prayers.

Always remember who is in charge, and always give thanks to the Lord.
May you live your life with no regrets, living each day as precious gifts. Well, I don't think I need to remind you of that, you know best how precious life is. After all, you fought so hard to be here.

We love you very much, my little punk,
Jaiden.

p.s. "Jaiden" means "grateful."


12 comments:

  1. Lisa Lambert Isaksen---- thanks for the remembrance and the tears in my eyes. i cant believe this sweet angel is now 3 yrs old. god bless you all and our sweet christmas miracle "ken barbie" jaiden. LOVE YA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura Spencer----- Oh and i thought my first and third were small. My first son was 6lbs 6oz and the third a girl was 6lbs. 9oz. I had some people asking me if she was ok cause she was little and skinny too. Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a beautiful family. It would be so incomplete without little Jaiden. Happy birthday to him. I'm so blessed to know his and your story, it's my number one favorite miracle story ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...after Jesus Christ that is lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alecia Sharp Bingham---- Wow Monika I didn't know this story before today so awesome, Thanks for sharing. It is amazing what a little will power can do even in someone so tiny. Hold him close it sure makes me want to hold mine closer. sending you love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara Brown Wallace---- Thanks for sharing Monika. Jaiden is a blessed boy to have you for a mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an experience!! I can't even imagine the torment that you went through. You are so strong and a fabulous example of faith! So happy for your cute family!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a miracle indeed! I just love you and your optimism that helped you through those dark hours. I can hardly believe it's been three years already. Merry Christmas and a happy birthday to your blesssed Jaiden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curt Jen Noble---- Thanks Mo...Really can't believe already three years. Your story and family's experience is truly a testimony of drawing on the powers of Heaven, the Priesthood and the miracles & peace that come through the merciful healing powers of Jesus CHRIST! What a wonderful time of year to celebrate Jaiden's birth. Happy Birthday to your little Jay! we LIVE because CHRIST LIVES!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I love Jaiden! And all the hugs and kisses he freely gives me the moment we see him!

    "He wanted to LIVE."... And BOY DOES HE LOVE TO LIVE! I don't think I have ever seen J stay still! lol You've been an amazing mother to him! One day I'll tell him all the things I've seen you do for him...eg. cleaning the room full of poop! :)

    LOVE You Jaiden! HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete