Saturday, June 26, 2010

Little boys grow up someday

I don't like bugs.
I don't like anything to do with them, but when Kai's around I seem to learn a lot about them. Kai's a BUG LOVER. Roaches, ants, caterpillars, crickets, spiders, you name it, HE LOVES IT. He's read all the books that our local library has to offer on bugs, and yet, he goes back to read the same ones over and over.
Tonight, as he sat in my lap reading ME his bug books (in Japanese), I wondered what I was doing.
I don't even like bugs.
I guess that's what it means to be a mother.
"I don't care"
"I don't like them"
"Disgusting"
"ewww"
"get that away from me"
"I hate them"
all these words that would normally fill my mind with anything to do with bugs and insects disappear for a while and I find myself fascinated (or acting like it) to see Kai's smiling face.
"whoa"
"that's amazing!"
"do you like this Kai?"
"yes, mommy likes this too"
instead, all these words come out of my mouth with a smile.
Someday, Kai will be all grown up.
I hope he doesn't remember me squishing the bugs in the kitchen with my shoe.
I hope he doesn't remember me running around and screaming after a roach.
Instead, I hope he can remember the days I sucked it all up and sat there listening to him tell me ALL ABOUT them bugs.
After all, someday, my boys will be all grown up.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh. I remember one time when I was watching your boys Kai were looking at an animal picture book and there was a page on bugs, he was asking what does this one say, what does that one say. i told him that the ants make us slap our ankles and say ouch! ouch! and roaches make us say EEEKKKK! he was so funny acting it out

    ReplyDelete