Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Lord calls the weak and the small

I had the opportunity to share my thoughts about my mission today in sacrament.
WHAT TO SAY, WHAT TO SAY
I wished everyone could have met the amazing people I met and could have seen, smelled, walked, and did everything I was able to do while on my mission.
INCREDIBLE THINGS HAPPENED EVERYDAY.
But, since that's not the case (and everyone has their own "coolest" mission),
I wanted to share just one thing that I learned while in Chile.
And
that
is,
that we are all called by Him to do something great.
Let me Explain:

I think, that as young missionaries in the MTC, we all (at least I know I did) think we're so full of the spirit and we're going out to the world to conquer it.
Bring everyone to the gospel and be the hero the world's been needing.
BOY WAS I EVER WRONG.
Now that I am home and look back on my experiences, I think:
wait, DID I ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING OUT THERE?!?!
I often wonder WHAT it was that I did out there.
Did I really make a difference?
Did the Lord really need me out there after all?!
All I remember are the times when people did ME the service of teaching me something.
To be humble
To be sincere
to Love.
So many things I feel that I've neglected to do and teach the people there,
they taught me.
My point?
I have come to realize, and am humbled to understand, that this--this is the Lord's gospel, not ours. He calls us-his weak, small and most insignificant (imperfect) to do His great work.
I am humbled that He would call me to do His great work, to give me the chance to have been able to serve in the tiniest way I was able to.
Everyone has a life mission. Specific to their willingness and desires to serve, everyone is called to do their missions, to fulfill their purpose here on earth. I am forever in-awe and amazed, truly humbled and honored-no, grateful that though He knows who I am, the imperfect person who thinks she knows it all, would call me to do His work and be a servant.
And that's what I learned on my mission.

1 comment:

  1. Before your mission you once complimented me on being 'well-rounded,' and said you'd someday like to be like that. I reminded you that becoming well rounded meant that all your sharp edges had been knocked off. I love who you've become. Jiji

    ReplyDelete