Monday, November 9, 2009

Home from my Trip

What a beautiful thing it is to be DEPENDED UPON by others.

Among a million other things I was able to experience and come to ponder on in Japan, the one thing that remains ingrained upon my heart is the thought that "to be depended upon is a blessing."
What a blessing it is to be needed. To be counted on. To be expected somewhere, at some time.

I know I feel tired sometimes of all the places I "need to be" or how I'm always "needed" by so many, starting with my family...I listened to my grandmother's feelings of inadequacy and "un-usefulness. She has no where to be, nor is anyone expecting her to be anywhere.
I really thought; how beautiful is it to be needed!

We may not be able to do great things--but by small things, I do believe that we are able to make a big difference in people's lives. By example, I met an elderly fellow of 95 years old. He was as perky as any young person, but he was very lonely. He was offering to PAY someone to come and sit with him and just talk and be with him each day...what a small thing it might be for you and I to sit and listen to someone for one hour a day/week/month/year, but what a HUGE difference that would make in someone's life!?

I love life.

1 comment:

  1. How true!
    They say that older people that stop activity die faster than those who keep busy. I wish we can help many elderly people to feel close to us. I see that when I visit some ladies in the ward I need to plan ahead that in each house I will be at least 45 to 60 minutes just listening to them It is nice because you learn lost about life and themselves.

    ReplyDelete